Is Pine Sol Toxic For Dogs?

¹

Towards the end of 2020, Pine-Sol Original Multi-Surface Cleaner, a cleaning solution that can kill 99.9% of germs, has been approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency to help prevent the spread of COVID-19.

This led to a tremendous increase in the number of people using the already popular product to clean their homes.

As beneficial as Pine-Sol is in getting rid of germs and bacteria, is it pet-friendly?

As a dog owner, you want to make sure the safety of your pet.

You would want to know whether or not the cleaning product that you use is safe for your beloved dog.

So, below, we will answer some of the questions that you probably already have in mind.

What is Pine-Sol and what are their best-selling multi-surface cleaners?

Pine-Sol is a leading brand of all-purpose cleaners and multi-surface cleaning products in the United States.

They do have the Original, Lemon Fresh, Lavender Clean, and Sparkling Wave. All of which can deodorize and cut through grease, grime, and dirt.

Out of all the members of the Pine-Sol family, the Original is the best-seller. It can disinfect and kill 99.9% of germs, including the COVID-19 virus.

It can be used on hard, nonporous surfaces. It is a very powerful cleaner that can help remove stubborn bathroom soils like rust, hard water, as well as soap scum.

Are the active ingredients in Pine Sol toxic for dogs?

Pine-Sol multi-surface cleaners contain the active ingredients pine oil, ethoxylated undecyl alcohol, benzoic acid, isopropyl alcohol, and sulfonic acids.

Although these ingredients work together to make your home clean and smelling fresh, they are linked to some health issues not only for human beings but also for pets.

They can cause skin irritation, respiratory problems, damages to the nervous system as well as to the digestive system, and damages to vision, just to mention a few.

And worse, they can cause death if ingested in large amounts.

What are the most dangerous ingredients used in cleaners for dogs?

Most cleaning solutions contain chemicals, which make them more effective in cleaning different types of surfaces. However, their ability to clean may also pose health risks, depending on their ingredients. With that said, it is crucial that you carefully look at the list of chemicals that a certain cleaning product contains before you buy it.

The most dangerous ingredients used in come cleaners include perchloroethylene (PERC), formaldehyde, 2-butoxyethanol, ammonia, sodium hydroxide, phenol, isopropyl alcohol, and chlorine. These can cause adverse effects on the skin, internal organs, sensory organs, and biological systems of both human beings and animals.

How much water should you use with Pine Sol or how diluted should it be?

 Pine-Sol cleaners are concentrated formulas, unlike other similar products that are watered down. But no matter which Pine-Sol cleaner you utilize, you can dilute it to accomplish cleaning jobs from cleaning your countertops to scrubbing your floor.

For general cleaning, you can dilute a 24-oz bottle of a Pine-Sol cleaner in 12 gallons of water. Doing this will help you save some money while keeping your home sparkling clean.

Will my dog be harmed if it eats diluted Pine Sol?

The active ingredients in Pine-Sol, most especially Pine oil, are toxic to dogs, even in small amounts and even if it is diluted. It can burn the inside of a dog’s nose and throat. It can also cause permanent damages to the throat and lungs.

Is undiluted/ neat Pine Sol toxic to dogs if they ingest it?

Undiluted Pine-Sol is, of course, more concentrated. Therefore, it is more dangerous to dogs if ingested. It can make your dog so sick quickly and may end up in an intensive care unit.

What are the symptoms of a dog ingesting a cleaning product?

Just like little kids, dogs have a naturally curious nature. They use their nose and mouth to explore, which can sometimes put them in danger. Now, if your dog ingested a cleaning product on accident, here are some of the symptoms that you need to watch out for:

·        Vomiting

·        Diarrhea

·        Sneezing

·        Coughing

·        Excessive drooling

·        Lethargy

·        Watery eyes

·        Difficulty breathing

·        Skin irritation

·        Inflammation on the eyes and oral cavities

·        Loss of appetite

These symptoms may range from mild to extreme, depending on the amount of ingested cleaning product.

What should you do if your dog has ingested something toxic?

Although the best thing that you can do if your dog has ingested something toxic is to seek a veterinarian’s help, there are things that you can do on your own. Take a look at the following:

·        Check the dog, especially its breathing, alertness, and behavior.

·        Take note of what was ingested and keep your dog away from it.

·        If the toxin got into your dog’s fur, try to wash it thoroughly and safely.

·        Do not attempt to give antidotes unless advised by a vet.

·        Call a vet and take your dog in as soon as possible.

The first 24 hours of ingesting toxins is very crucial. It is important that you know what was ingested so that the vet will be able to provide the best treatment. They may give your pet IV fluids as well as activated charcoal as this should absorb the chemical and will later on pass through the kidneys. A gastric lavage and blood transfusion may be done too.

Does mopping with Pine Sol kill dog fleas?

 Having pets at home may attract fleas to invade your home, but this may occur too even if you don’t have pets. This is one problem that can be solved using a Pine-Sol cleaner. You can mix ¼ cup of Pine-Sol with a gallon of water and use it to mop your hardwood floors. Be sure to mop the floors in your bathroom, laundry room, closets, and kitchen as these are the areas that may usually be infested with fleas.

Aside from mopping, Pine-Sol can also be used to spray and wipe down other areas of your home. It can be utilized to treat carpets as well, with the help of a shampooer.

What other multi cleaners are safe with dogs?

 If you have a pet at home, it is important that you stock up on cleaning agents that are safe. You need to look for products that contain non-toxic or natural ingredients. With this, you can consider the following multi-cleaners:

·   Eco-Me

This right here does not contain bleach and sulfates, but still quite effective in breaking down dirt and grime, including grease. If you want to give the indoor air that fresh scent, you may opt for the herbal mint scent. But if not, you can settle for the unscented version.

·   Angry Orange

This product was specially formulated to deal with serious animal stains and smells. It is made with orange peel so you can be sure that it is non-toxic and very safe with your dog. You can use it to clean any surface in your home.

·   Sunny & Honey

This enzyme-based cleaner is definitely safe to use around pets. You can utilize it on pretty much any surface in your home. It works well in getting rid of stains and odor.

·   Better Life

The Better Life Natural All-Purpose Cleaner can be applied on soft upholstery as well as on hard surfaces. It is plant-based, so you can be sure that it is really safe not just for pets but also for kids too.

·   Rocco & Roxie

If you are dealing with smelly pet stains, then this product would be your best bet. It can be used on all kinds of surfaces.

·   Mrs. Meyer’s

With the combination of garden-inspired scents, plant-based cleaning ingredients, and essential oils, Mrs. Meyer’s Clean Day Multi-Surface Everyday Cleaner is another good option. You can use it to spray non-porous surfaces.

Are there any natural ingredients/ products that make great dog safe multi surface cleaners?

If you want to go all-natural, then the combination of baking soda and vinegar is on top of the list. The latter is quite effective in absorbing odor, plus it makes an excellent stain remover and general cleaner too.

To use baking soda and vinegar to clean your home, simply combine the two ingredients. You can add a little bit of lemon too if you want to have that citrusy scent. The only caution that you have to keep in mind is that baking soda can cause stomach upset in dogs. It is not toxic, though.

Another excellent combination is that of lemon and water. Simply add about five tablespoons of lemon juice to two liters of water and use it to wipe the surfaces of your home.

Closing thoughts

 Although Pine-Sol is regarded as one of the best cleaning solutions available on the market, it is not safe to use around dogs. Even a small amount, if ingested, can lead to fatal issues. If your pet ingested Pine-Sol, be it diluted or concentrated, you should take it to the vet’s clinic immediately so proper treatment can be given.

To avoid problems, it is highly recommended that you stay away from Pine-Sol if you are a dog owner. You should switch to other products that do not contain harsh chemicals or toxins. Better yet, resort to natural ingredients like baking soda, vinegar, water, and lemon.

Photo credits

¹ Photo by Mike Mozart on Flickr